Vancouver International Airport Welcomes Over 7.1 Million Passengers During Summer Season
Vancouver International Airport (YVR) has reported a significant surge in passenger numbers for the summer season, marking a period filled with notable achievements and events.
From July to September, YVR saw an influx of over 7.1 million passengers, representing a 21.7% increase compared to the same timeframe in the previous year. This figure aligns closely with the numbers from 2019. The B.C. Day weekend in August emerged as the peak period, with a record 328,422 passengers traveling between August 4 and August 7.
This uptick in passenger traffic can be attributed to the expanded services offered by YVR's airline partners, with Air Canada playing a pivotal role by introducing key U.S. routes, including Miami and Washington Dulles.
Tamara Vrooman, President & CEO at Vancouver Airport Authority, expressed her pride in the YVR team's efforts, stating, "We are experiencing a growth phase at YVR and within the aviation sector. Our team and the broader YVR community have enhanced the traveler experience while upholding our core values of safety, innovation, teamwork, and accountability. This summer, we connected more passengers to diverse destinations and extended our support during the challenging wildfire season in our province. Our collaboration with the Musqueam community further strengthens our commitment to the region."Advertising
Some key highlights from the summer season include:
- A total of 59,796 flights, both arriving and departing, facilitated by 110 airline partners.
- Processing of over 2.5 million outbound bags.
- An average on-time performance rate of approximately 70% for departing flights.
- The introduction of digital tools like YVR Express, utilized by roughly 10% of travelers during operational hours, and the Passenger Journey Tool, which recorded nearly 527,000 views.
- A donation of $50,000 towards wildfire relief efforts in British Columbia and the Northwest Territories.
- The inauguration of the Musqueam Gathering Place in August showcases a 30-foot ocean-going canoe crafted by Musqueam master carvers and YVR staff.
- Hosting two Musqueam Marketplace events and introducing local establishments like Purebread Bakery, Salmon N'Bannock On The Fly, Dirty Apron, and Pacific Farms Market to enhance the airport's retail and dining offerings.
As the fall season approaches, YVR encourages travelers to plan their journeys, arrive early, and utilize the airport's digital tools for a seamless travel experience.
Vancouver International Airport (YVR) is a global hub that fosters connections between people, cargo, data, and ideas. With a commitment to regional economic development, YVR aims to positively impact the lives of British Columbians through digital modernization, climate leadership, reconciliation, and financial sustainability.