United Airlines Innovates to Enhance Customer Experience During Peak Thanksgiving Travel
Chicago, IL – United Airlines is preparing for a record-setting Thanksgiving travel season, expecting over 5.9 million passengers between November 17-29. In anticipation of this surge, United has introduced several tech innovations in its mobile app and at airports to streamline the travel experience, ensuring passengers can save time and enjoy a more efficient journey.
Pioneering Customer-Centric Tech Solutions
United's Chief Customer Officer, Linda Jojo, emphasized the airline's focus on connecting people with family and friends during this busy season. The airline has launched or enhanced numerous features in its mobile app, at airports, and onboard its aircraft to make travel more convenient and less stressful.
Key Innovations for a Smooth Travel Experience
- Free Family Seating: United is the first airline to offer a dynamic seat map, allowing children under 12 to be seated next to an adult in their party for free at the time of booking. This feature has already benefited over 200,000 families.
- Bag Drop Shortcut: This service, expanded to more airports, allows customers to drop off their checked bags in just one minute by checking in via the United app.
- Pre-Order Food and Beverages: Passengers can pre-order their meals and snacks up to 24 hours before departure, ensuring they get their first choice of in-flight offerings.
- Airport Wayfinding: The United app provides personalized instructions to navigate airports with ease, from the best entrance to use to locating departure gates.
- Live Flight Notifications: United is the first U.S. airline to offer Live Activities for iPhone, displaying real-time boarding pass, gate, and seat information on the Lock Screen. Android users also receive real-time flight information on their lock screens.
- ConnectionSaver Technology: This tool helps over 600,000 United customers annually make tight connections without inconveniencing other passengers.
- Efficient Boarding Process: The new 'WILMA' (window-middle-aisle) boarding system saves up to two minutes per departure.
Enhancing Customer Service Support
United's app functions as a personal concierge, offering:
- Automatic Assistance During Disruptions: Personalized re-booking options, bag tracking, and meal/hotel vouchers are provided directly in the app during delays or cancellations.
- On-Demand Customer Support: The "Agent on Demand" feature allows customers to video chat, text, or call a representative for real-time flight information and assistance.
Commitment to Accessible Travel
United has made significant strides in ensuring its services are inclusive for all customers. This includes:
- Accessible Digital Platforms: The United app has been redesigned for better integration with screen reader technologies.
- Onboard Accessibility Improvements: New seatback entertainment screens offer a range of accessible features, and tactile signage is being added to aircraft interiors for visually impaired travelers.
United Airlines' technological advancements are set to significantly improve the travel experience for millions of passengers during the busy Thanksgiving period. These innovations reflect United's commitment to customer satisfaction, operational efficiency, and accessible travel for everyone.