Southwest Airlines Announces Strategic Executive Leadership Changes to Enhance Operations and Customer Experience
Dallas, TX - December 2023 - Southwest Airlines Co. (NYSE: LUV) has announced a series of executive leadership changes and organizational realignments, effective December 1, to bolster the company's strategic priorities and enhance its operational and customer service capabilities.
Key Leadership Changes at Southwest Airlines
- Justin Jones has been promoted to Executive Vice President Operations, reporting to Chief Operating Officer Andrew Watterson. Jones, previously SVP Operations & Design, will lead teams focusing on modernization and oversight of daily airline operations.
- Tony Roach advances to the new role of Senior Vice President & Chief Customer Officer, under Executive Vice President & Chief Commercial Officer Ryan Green. Roach will oversee the end-to-end customer experience, a critical aspect of Southwest's service.
- Elizabeth Bryant is appointed as Senior Vice President & Chief People Officer, and Whitney Eichinger as Senior Vice President & Chief Communications Officer. Both will continue reporting to Chief Administration Officer Linda Rutherford.
- Angela Marano takes on the role of Vice President Artificial Intelligence & Data Transformation, leading a new organization focusing on data and AI infrastructure and governance.
- Jason Van Eaton is promoted to Senior Vice President & Chief Corporate Affairs Officer, managing legislative and regulatory policy, airport relationships, and more.
Focus on Operational Excellence and Customer Experience
These leadership changes are part of Southwest's effort to enhance its operational reliability and customer experience. Justin Jones' elevation to EVP Operations aims to create closer alignment between operating and implementation teams. Tony Roach's new role as SVP & Chief Customer Officer will involve overseeing critical areas such as marketing, customer support, and digital experience, ensuring a seamless journey for Southwest's customers.
Commitment to Employee and Community Engagement
The appointments of Elizabeth Bryant and Whitney Eichinger reinforce Southwest's commitment to its employees and community engagement. Bryant will lead initiatives in human resources, talent development, and training, while Eichinger will focus on differentiating the Southwest brand through communication and community support.
Leveraging Data and AI for Transformation
Angela Marano's new role underscores Southwest's focus on harnessing the power of data and artificial intelligence for operational and customer experience transformation. This move aligns with the airline's strategy to leverage technology for efficiency and innovation.
Regulatory Affairs and Corporate Strategy
Jason Van Eaton's advancement to SVP & Chief Corporate Affairs Officer reflects Southwest's strategic focus on legislative and regulatory policy, airport relationships, and corporate security, crucial for the airline's ongoing success and growth.
Southwest Airlines' Strategic Vision
"These changes not only individually recognize the excellent contributions from these Executive Leaders," said Bob Jordan, Southwest Airlines President & Chief Executive Officer, "we're collectively creating an organizational structure that reflects our priority of caring for the Employees who serve our Customers, elevating the experience of traveling, and bolstering our foundational Reliability and financial performance."
About Southwest Airlines
Southwest Airlines, known for its exceptional value and hospitality, operates at 121 airports across 11 countries. The Dallas-based airline is renowned for its employee-first culture and has been a model of profitability and corporate responsibility in the aviation industry.